1.10.2013

NARS Pro-Prime Multi Protect Primer



While in England I took a look in Harvey Nichols (so dangerous) and hopped over to the NARS counter. Everyone is always raving about their Sheer Glow foundation so I figured I'd see what all the fuss is about. Because being in England always has this whirlwind effect on me, I find myself being way more susceptible to being talked into things I probably don't need. Primers included.

At first I didn't like this primer at all — I just didn't get on with it and I'm not sure why, but after giving it a few more weeks I actually quite like it. Is it love? Well, I wouldn't go that far but I am enjoying it.

When you first rub this into your skin it leaves a nice sheen (as you can kind of see in the second swatch photo) but it ends up drying matte. I was hoping my skin would stay all luminous and glowy, but alas, it didn't. This stuff is extremely light and leaves your skin super soft while which is a total plus. It also seems to calm my skin ever so slightly, bringing the redness down juuuuust a bit. It does also help with foundation longevity but it's not that much better than the Smashbox primer I was previously using which is why I'm still on the fence. I can definitely see this as something I'll be loving come summer, especially with that added SPF 30 (protection is important, kids). That said, as an every day, all day primer, I'm not convinced that this is the one for me.

Has anyone else tried this primer? If so, what are your thoughts? What are your favorite primers/ones that you would recommend?

17 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try this out, not so sure now after reading this. At least you're honest! :) I'm currently using origins vitazing moisturiser but it works as a primer too and I love it xx

    www.charissarae.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should still give it a shot, even if it's going to a counter to test it. I think it's an awesome product but it's not totally what I'm looking for. Could be holy grail for someone else though! x

      Delete
  2. I'm glad after awhile you're starting to like it. I love the fact that it has SPF in it, which is always important. I might have to try this, as I wouldn't mind being a bit more matte. You also mentioned that it seemed to calm redness, that is probably the main reason it looks so appealing. Redness be gone!

    xx, Ashley
    blushbug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried this one but I'm always on the look out for new primers to try, I really want to try the Tarte one.. I've been trying out a primer from Gosh, it's silicone based and I really like it, I also love to apply MAC Strobe cream before applying my foundation, it's super gorgeous!

    xx elín
    http:/elinlikes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I really want to check out Strobe. Wondering if it would help to give me the effect I'm looking for! Thanks for the tip x

      Delete
  4. It's a shame it isn't the best but at least your starting to enjoy using it more :) I love the soft skin primer leaves you with, although I can't say I've tried this product before!!

    ngofficial.blogspot.co.uk

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this very helpful review. I'm using Benefit's primer but I guess I'm going to switch to Smashbox when the tube runs out.

    Hope you can drop by at PIXELS AND TALES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried this but I'm really enjoying the Laura Mercier foundation primer, it actually helps my foundation last longer and my skin feels smooth all day long :) x

      Delete
    2. Do you just have the normal LM Primer? Or like Radiance or anything? I think this is what I'm going to try! What foundation are you using at the moment? x

      Delete
  7. I've been dying to try some nars face products considering I really love their cheek products (blushes and bronzers) but I've recently found myself so disappointed in their eye shadows that I'm weary of investing in anything from them that really breaks the bank (which is basically everything haha.) Nice review :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really am interested in this primer, so thanks for the review! I think after reading it I'll probably try to get my hands on a sample first :) I love the Hourglass mineral veil primer... an entire bottle lasted me for pretty much all of last year, and although it's a bit pricey, it goes beautifully with so many different foundations!

    xx Ellie
    www.ellalogy.com 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is really off topic, but I was wondering ... Where did you get your layout from? Did you design it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Designed it myself! Two years ago I really wanted to be a web designer so I learned to code HTML/CSS and a little bit of JavaScript :) x

      Delete
    2. Wow awesome. I love the layout a lot. I'm attempting to design one for myself currently, and I was just curious. I'm a graphic designer and I've done websites before but never a blogger so it's a new experience for me. :)

      -NWS
      nwestbrook.com

      Delete
  10. I have been wanting to try this primer for a while. I currently love the laura Mercier mineral primer. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was just using a sample of this too! I am not sure what to think yet but it sort of seems to go well with nars tinted moisturizer in terms of finish and longevity

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for commenting!

twitter · tumblr · instagram

Blogging tips