7.15.2013

A visit with Melissa Joy Manning



A month or so back I was invited to visit the studio of jewelry designer, Melissa Joy Manning. So I drove up to Berkeley and spent two glorious hours basking in the greatness that is her work.

Melissa makes sustainable hand-made pieces, and has done for 15 years now. Ethically sourced gems and stones, up-cycled and recycled metals and materials, what's not to love? You know when you meet someone who radiates passion for what they do and then it makes you want to go out and conquer the world? That's what meeting Melissa was like. Her store/studio was incredible; you walk into this stunning little shop full of antique wood boxes that are filled with gorgeous engagement rings. As you make your way to the back there's a door with glass windows and a peek inside showed her staff crafting some custom pieces.

I got to see an engagement ring being made, some earrings, and random other bits. She explained to me how she just couldn't have a conventional job, about how she needed to be creative, which is something that seriously resonated with me. If you're into jewelry or other little gifts and you're in the Bay Area, GO TO HER STUDIO. You will leave enlightened and inspired, I promise. Aaaand if you don't live in the Bay Area you can peruse the site for hours on end here.

There's something about being surrounded by people that are really passionate about what they do that makes you want to accomplish even more than you (currently) are. Especially those that are in a creative space, in my opinion. The fact that something like jewelry making, a handicraft if you will, is still around is amazing. I love the idea that things like this haven't been fully lost in the tech-age that we're currently in.

It's all very romantic to me.

p.s. sorry this is so photo heavy, I just love so many photos I took this day. If you'd like to see more I posted a ton of them here.

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love all the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chelsea! I really enjoyed meeting you and having you visit our space- you are welcome any time! I look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again! xo Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Can't wait to pop in again soon! xox

      Delete
  3. I love the jewelry! I've been seeing rough cut jewels coming up more and more, and I love it. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowowowo I'm crying everything is so beautiful and perfect... those rings, that necklace on top of the display case, the cuffs in the second to last picture... how do I buy these without being in california... so gorgeous :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.melissajoymanning.com/ I should have done a google search ;) well I'm very glad she has a website and I know what I'll be saving up for!

      Delete
    2. Ah, thanks for reminding me to put her website up! So glad you love her stuff. It's incredible! x

      Delete
  5. The display is beautiful as well as the jewelry. Does she have an online store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Everything is beautiful! You can find her store here: http://www.melissajoymanning.com/

      Delete
  6. Your photography is so insanely gorgeous, Chelsea, just needed to state that! I love when I hear about and see people making their own things and being so passionate about any sort of creative outlet. I'm very artistic and went to school for Art but you're always left with a pang that this isn't something to do for the rest of your life. So I love when I see things like this. I'm hopping over to her website right now and may pick up something for myself to support such lovely jewelry!

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess <3 <3. I know what you mean. It's just such a great thing to be around. I'm forever saving up for one of her rings! Her earrings are super affordable and SO CUTE. xx

      Delete
  7. Wow, first of all, amazing photos!
    && those pieces of jewellery are so unique and amazing - love them (:

    The Craziest Paradigm - a 'lil bit of rust & stardust

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful pieces, I love them all! x


    Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD 

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's exactly my style of jewelry. And how awesome that she operates sustainably!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow, what a gorgeous studio/shop! i love raw crystals and gemstones and everything she makes is so delicate and beautiful! and it's good to know it's all lovingly made and sustainable too.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks so beautiful and magical. I love the way she has set up the displays, its great to see people following their dreams and making items by hand.

    Hannah
    x
    www.daintyandivory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for commenting!

twitter · tumblr · instagram

Blogging tips